Tuesday 20 October 2015

Environmental Type -The Gruffalo

Type in the Environment

One technique that is often used by designers successfully is to install type in an environment. The environment then also becomes part of the design and gives more meaning to the type. 
Charlotte Middleton is one such designer who has used this technique in her work. See below.


Another example of environmental type is this piece by Amy Fields called Praey.


Both are really effective as the environment that the type is placed into gives the words meaning and context.

I decided to make my own environmental type for the Gruffalo book.
One of the common phrases in the popular children's book is 'There's no such thing as a... gruffalo'.
The story is set in the woodlands, so I decided to head off to my local forest to photograph my typography. I printed my words in a playful childish font and cut them out from card. I decided to use plain white card as I felt this would stand out well against the dark woodland colours.  
I also took a few props with me too, like the 'Gruffalo' book itself and a soft toy gruffalo which I thought might come in handy.

These were some of my more successful shots of my environmental typography.

 CONCEPT 1


Although this design is quite striking, I feel that it is a bit too obvious and
doesn't leave much to the imagination.

CONCEPT 2


This image is made up of two photographs I took, one of the typography on the tree and the other of the gruffalo. I blended the two images in photoshot to create this. I like the angle of the typography but I don't feel that the positioning of the gruffalo really works.

 CONCEPT 3


This design has the typography subtly in the background out of focus with the gruffalo in sharp focus in the foreground.  The composition is good but I think the focus would be better on the typography.

CONCEPT 4

I then came up with this design which I felt worked really well. I particularly like the lighting in this shot and the gruffalo toy peeping out behind the tree.


This is another variation of the design. The lighting is less striking in the second shot but I like the subtlety of the gruffalo. Your eyes are drawn to the text and then you later notice the gruffalo peeping out in the background. I like the way that the forest disappears into the background creating a sense of curiosity and mystery. I like the use of the soft toy as it sets the right light-hearted tone for a children's book advert.




No comments:

Post a Comment